Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest #8 - Dec. 1980

Yes, more Superman!

They just don't make comics like this anymore, where you have your hero dressed as an Indian Chief, a genie, a weird Flash/Superman hybrid...basically looking like a total goof. Hmm, maybe not everything from the Silver Age of Comics was great.

Ah, enough negativity! Let's get on with the super-riffic content:

• "The Five Other Identities of Superman" (oddly, it was originally published as "The Day Superman Became the Flash"...I wonder why the tacked-on title change?) by Edmond Hamilton and Al Plastino 
• "The 1,000 Lives of Superman" by ? and Wayne Boring 
• "From Riches to Rags!" by Leo Dorfman and Plastino 
• "The Super-Genie of Metropolis" by Robert Bernstein and Plastino 
• "Blind Clark Kent!" by Jerry Siegel, Curt Swan, and George Klein 
• "Clark The 'K'" by Siegel, Swan, and Klein (a pretty obscure reference, if you think about it) 
• "The Super-Cop of Metropolis" by Siegel, Swan, and Klein 
• "The Shocking Secret of Super-X!" by Bates, Swan, and Anderson 
• "Who Stole My Superpowers?" by Jim Shooter, Swan, and George Roussos 
• ...and the text-feature "Does Superman Need Clark Kent?" by ENB. (I bet the answer is yes!)

The most interesting tale is the first I think, where Superman gets to see what its like to be Batman, The Flash, The Atom, Aquaman, and Green Arrow! I guess the Comics Code would've prevented him from being Wonder Woman for a day...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do believe this was the first digest I ever bought (or was bought for me by my Mom). What kid could resist the Superman/JLA hybrids? And the Indian-Chief, and the guy with...a monocle? Some weird, WEIRD tales here, but the art work is burned into my brain, so it made quite the impression.

I kind of dug the Super-Atom. Essentially Atom with a Superman cape. A nice costume variation!

As an odd aside, the hard hat guy on the cover has a 3-ribbed hard hat, a copyrighted, distinctive feature of the hard hats made by Bullard, the safety product company I work for today! So see, this digest REALLY Influenced me!!!

Chris