Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest #17 - Oct. 1981

sgHey, Superman and Superboy got digests, why not the Maid of Steel, too?

Before I get into the stories included, let's talk about this cover for a second. First off, it's goregous--bright and happy, Supergirl looks majestic and heroic.

I remembered reading once, around the time that Supergirl got killed off in Crisis on Infinite Earths, that had she been written and drawn that well all the time, she wouldn't have been such a sales loser, therefore probably sparing her being killed off in the first place!

This cover reminds me of that comment, since it's such a nice piece(by the unbeatable team of George Perez--doing his first digest cover--and Dick Giordano), and if only Kara had looked this good all the time.

Stories include:
"The Great Supergirl Mirage" by Otto Binder and Jim Mooney
"The World's Greatest Heroine" by Jerry Siegel and Mooney
"Supergirl Goes to College" by Leo Dorfman and Mooney
the very un-Supergirl-story-sounding "The Crypt of the Frozen Graves" by Steve Skeates and the odd art team of Tony DeZuniga and Bob Oksner
"Trial of the Madman" by Cary Bates, Art Saaf, and Vince Colletta
"Princess of the Golden Sun" by Elliott S! Maggin, Saaf, and Colletta, which ends with Kara admonishing her cousin: "You know, cousin...sometimes you can be a real drag!"

Now that takes guts. I thought only Batman talked to him like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom brought me home this digest, and I honestly didn't know what to do with it. But eventually I read it, and really enjoyed the different careers Kara had. It seems to me DC has always had a hard time figuring out just what to do with poor Kara.

Great Perez cover for sure!

Chris