Sunday, November 16, 2014

Captain America Battles Baron Blood


I realize these paperback reprint editions aren't really "digest comics", but they're too nifty to ignore and besides, they're in the spirit of the alternate comic book formats that I find so charming.

This book reprints Captain America #s 250, 253, and 254, back when the book was being done by Roger Stern, John Byrne, and Josef Rubinstein, who did superb work on the title. Capped off with a cover by Bob Larkin, and you've got one great little collection.

I had distinct memories of reading the Baron Blood issues while we were on vacation in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, which was always in August. Then when these issues were discussed on an episode of Mike Bailey's Views From the Longbox podcast, I looked them up online, and saw they were released in October and November. What the?

Then I remembered that one of the newsstands in that area that I frequently haunted sold paperbacks as well, and had this book there in August, which was what I bought and devoured at the time. I found another copy on Amazon and enjoyed it all over again!


2 comments:

Earth 2 Chris said...

I have a Spider-Man TPB that reprints some of the Claremont/Byrne Marvel Team-Up issues. I never saw this one, or I would have bought it. LOVE that Baron Blood story!

Chris

Earth 2 Chris said...

And I meant pocket book, like this, not a modern trade paperback. Old habits...

Chris