Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Amazing Spider-Man Pocket Book #1 - 1977

sgThe first of Marvel's cool paperback line, printed by the fine folks at Pocket Books.

As I said many months ago when talking about a Hulk Pocket Book, these editions were the only comics that ever showed up at the book fairs they had at my elementary school every so often. I assume the page count and the Pocket Books logo gave these an air of respectability that a 40 cent floppy didn't have.

This book reprints the first six, groundbreaking issues of The Amazing Spider-Man, by (of course) Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, plus Amazing Fantasy #15.

160 whopping pages!

5 comments:

Plaidstallions said...

Mah-mories! my copy of this book was very well enjoyed. I have it still but can barely read it.

Anonymous said...

This was my first exposure to the Lee and Ditko run of Spider-Man and, therefore, the first time I really "got" the character.

When Ditko left, Spider-Man became just another super-hero albeit one who whined a whole lot more.

K.B. said...

This was a summer camp favorite !!!

Anonymous said...

This was my first paperback version of Spider-Man and I remember reading it again and again until it fell apart. I sadly missed the next two though.

-- MrJM said...

These pocket books were our first exposure to the dawn of the Marvel Age.

We loved them to pieces.

-- MrJM